The following information is only for the Zoom modem models with an "A" in the serial number or models starting with 56 in the serial number (i.e. nnnn-56nn-nn-nn-nnnn)
If you have the "56xx" version of the X3, X4, X5 modem (indicated in the serial number "nnnn-56xx-nn-nn-nnnn") with firmware 2.1.0 or later then please use this FAQ
This procedure will configure your Zoom modem to allow a game console free access to the internet while still allowing multiple computers to share the same connection. This setup is called ZIPB or PPP HalfBridge. A PPP Username and Password is required for this configuration.
Note: Before proceeding with this advanced setup you will need to manually assign a static IP address to your PC's that are connected to the Zoom modem. This procedure varies by Operating system. You will need to give each PC an IP address in the range or 10.0.0.x, NetMask of 255.255.255.0, and a DNS and Default Gateway of 10.0.0.2.
Note: If you have not already done so, follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide for installation and Internet access....
- First click on the "Advanced Setup " page again. From here:
1. Click on the "DHCP" button, followed by the "DHCP Server " button.
2. Click on the Delete (trash can) icon on the extreme right hand column of the single entry on this page.
3. Click on the "Add" button and enter the following information, leaving all other fields as they are:
Start IP Address 10.0.0.4
End IP Address 10.0.0.16
Gateway Address 10.0.0.2
DNS Address 10.0.0.2
4. Click on "Save Changes" followed by "Close".
- Next click on "Advanced Setup" again, followed by the "Bridging " button
1. Click the "Enable/Disable" link to the right of "ZIPB" and select "Enabled " for the "ZIPB" entry in the table.
2. Click on "Save Settings".
- Click on "Advanced Setup" again, followed by the "PPP Status " button where you should see one entry.
1. Click on the Edit (pencil) icon on the extreme right hand column.
2. Set the "Status" to "StartOnData "
3. Click on "Save Changes" and "Close ".
4. Click on "Write Settings to Flash".
- Now you must reboot the modem:
1. Click on "Advanced Setup " again
2. Under Administration, click "Reboot ". The Reboot page appears.
3. Click the "Reboot" button and wait for the modem to reboot.
Once the modem has rebooted close all open windows down to the Desktop. Switch Off the ADSL Modem's power, and wait 30 seconds. (If you have multiple computers or devices (game consoles, etc.) connected to the modem, unplug all computers and devices from the modem. Plug in the game console only to allow it to receive the external/public (or WAN) IP address.)
NOW switch the power back ON.
Once the Game Console is verified to be on the internet, then plug in the rest of the computers or devices to the modem.
These procedures will allow the Game console to bypass the modem firewall and still allow other computers to use the modem for internet access. The Game console will not have the protection of the modem's firewall, but all PC's connected will still be protected.